It may seem impossible to keep your home free from pests, but unfortunately, we are outnumbered, and there are only so many hours in a day to protect our homes. People who work long hours and don’t necessarily have the time to clean up may find that the piling garbage and food scraps are attracting rodents into their homes. Since rodents seek warmth and food, our homes are the ideal destination to set up camp and thrive. Unfortunately, many people who suspect a rat infestation immediately set up poison, but it only leads to a slow death for the rat, and they may die somewhere in your walls or attic, leaving a horrible smell in your home. Thankfully, rat control in Victoria, British Columbia, uses eco-friendly measures to eradicate a rat infestation in your home and deliver exceptional results every time. Old Island Pest Control is at your service for all your pest control needs.
The biggest concern around rodents is the multiple diseases that they carry. Whether you come into contact with their droppings, urine or saliva, it is possible for you to contract a disease. Common diseases among rats and mice include the following:
- Hantavirus – early symptoms include fatigue, muscle aches and shortness of breath. Hantavirus is a fatal disease, and recovery may take months.
- Salmonella – infected persons may experience abdominal cramping, fever and diarrhea. If treated properly, recovery usually only takes a few days.
- Tularemia – depending on how you have been exposed to the disease, you may experience skin ulcers, painful and swollen lymph nodes, inflamed eyes, sore throat and possibly pneumonia.
- Rat-bite fever – spread through being bitten by a rat, affected persons may experience fever, vomiting, headache, muscle pain and a rash at the site of the bite.
- Leptospirosis – symptoms include a high fever, chills, body pains, jaundice, vomiting and abdominal pain.
Many people have contracted diseases from rodents without ever seeing the rodent in front of them or knowing that rodents live in their homes. If you see rodent droppings on countertops or in cupboards, disinfect the area immediately and avoid preparing food on contaminated surfaces. Always ensure you wash your hands thoroughly after cleaning rodent droppings or urine.
Old Island Pest Control can help you with rat control in Victoria, British Columbia, and delivers expert services every time. Contact us today to speak to our friendly staff or visit us online to make a booking.