Though winter in Victoria may be mild when compared to the rest of Canada, it still sends pests such as rats, mice, raccoons and squirrels scurrying for shelter, usually in or around human residences. As winter sets in and you begin preparing for colder temperatures, you should make sure that your home is properly winterized against pests as well.
Use the following tips to keep pests out of the inside of your home, and away from your home’s exterior as well.
Keeping Pests Away from Your Home’s Interior
The only way to make sure that pests say out of your home is to thoroughly seal up any potential openings through which they could enter. You can do this by:
- Checking that seals around doors and windows are tight, and doing repairs if there are signs of damage.
- Inspecting and repairing the concrete around basement windows.
- Checking for cracks in the foundation and sealing with concrete or caulk where necessary.
- Making sure all attic vents are sealed tightly.
- Making sure that all window screens fit properly and don’t show signs of tears or damage.
Keeping Pests Away from Your Home’s Exterior
Even when pests can’t get inside your home, they may be tempted to settle somewhere on your home’s exterior. You can eliminate any possible pest habitats from around your home by:
- Cleaning your gutters of accumulated debris.
- Making sure downspouts are pointing away from your home.
- Clearing any leaves and debris that have accumulated around the exterior walls of your house.
- Trimming trees and shrubs so that less leaves and debris are dropped onto your property.
- Keeping firewood, compost piles, trash cans, or any other items you keep outside from directly touching your house.
Have Any Questions? Let the Old Island Pest Control Professionals Help
If you have any more questions about how to winterize your home against pests, or if you suspect that some pests may have found a way into your home already, it’s important that you act fast. We have been providing professional, reliable, and environmentally conscious residential pest control services in Victoria since 2002.
Call us today so that you won’t have to worry about sharing your home with unwanted intruders this winter.